Financial Assistance to the Private, Voluntary and Community Sectors: A General Checklist
- Has eligibility for assistance been established?
- Is a full economic appraisal required?
- Does the proposed assistance represent a State Aid?
- Does the proposal have clear objectives and targets?
- Are there alternative options to consider?
- Are costs and benefits identified in sufficient detail?
- NPVs calculated correctly?
- Is displacement considered - with adequate supporting evidence?
- Any adjustments needed for foreign ownership?
- Are risks and uncertainties assessed adequately?
- What are the wider costs and benefits?
- Is the project worth doing?
- Has the applicant's financial position and ability to fund the project been examined?
- Have details of the negotiations with the applicant on the level of assistance been recorded?
- What is the evidence that assistance will make a difference to the project's location, scale, quality or timing?
- Where project mobility is claimed, is there substantial evidence of a viable alternative location?
- Are reasons recorded for the proposed level of assistance, related to the location, nature, scale or timing of the project?
- Is the proposed assistance the minimum needed to bring about the project?
- Are appropriate ratios included? eg total public assistance to total project cost, cost per job, other unit costs.
- All NI and EU funding taken into account?
- Is the proposal cost-effective?
- Business plan provided?
- Are the project management arrangements clear?
- Are the key management personnel identified and do they have the right experience and qualifications?
- Are anticipated cash flows set out in suitable detail?
- Will the proposed assistance enable the project to (a) cover all its costs and (b) earn a commercial rate of return?
- Are the applicant's financial position and previous track record stated?
- Are arrangements for funding clear and unambiguous?
- Is there a sound marketing plan?
- Is the project sustainable beyond the proposed period of funding? Is there a clear exit strategy?
- Do plans provide for suitable monitoring and evaluation?
- Is the project viable?